Home Alt Forums General What do you ride?

What do you ride?

This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 4 months ago by Avatarnau_lax21.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Stumpyjay
    Participant

What bikes did you guys start out on and what do you ride now?

briderdt
    Participant

A Suzuki SV650s. Yes, there’s a lot of advice and articles that say it’s too much for a beginner, and I’m not one to tell anyone that they should get the same bike I did. However, the V-twin engine is very forgiving of short shifts with the low-end torque and very flat power curve. Not as beginner-friendly as a 250 cruiser, but not the hell that a super-sport can be.

boulevardboy
    Participant

I started on a 50cc Vespa that I rode for about 2.5 years (over 8000 miles, which really shocked the service guys when i took it in. I now have a Boulevard S40, which is 650cc’s. I think that it is a great bike, and I really love cruiser style bikes for the comfort of the riding positio. I tried a sports bike and it just didn’t feel right at all.

megaspaz
    Participant

sv650s, ducati 848.

Edit: clarification… started on the sv650s, got a ducati 848. I ride them both, although, I only seem to crash the 848…

SantaCruzRider
    Participant

Both ’94s
    Not a recommendation on how to start, but also not the worst life decisions I’ve managed to survive either.

The Connie is the most powerful, fun and economical street bike I’ve ever ridden — I still feel a twinge of regret every time I turn for home (comment is about the bike — not the homelife!).

Munch
    Participant

Started on the Vulcan 500….now on a Vulcan 900 Classic Lt.

Sangria7
    Participant

First bike was a Honda Rebel 250 and now a V Star Custom 650

RobM
    Participant

Started on the Ninja 250 for my recent reincarnation of MC riding. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and had a Kaw 550 LTD back in college. I’m really enjoying the ninjette. It’s a great bike to sharpen your skills.

Clay Dowling
    Participant

It’s a 750cc v4. Probably more bike than would normally be recommended, but a fun ride and quite maneuverable, especially if you take the time to do a little practice. The throttle is gentle with a nice wide power band, so I don’t get any sudden shocks that shoot me down the road at 100mph unless I meant to go that fast. My first bike and my current bike.

Bought it second hand, with a monster cruiser windshield on it. Stripped that off and replaced it with a flyscreen, which makes for better visibility and a more comfortable ride on the highway.

Matt
    Participant

Started or first owned?
    Put my first few hundred miles on an ’83 GS450.
    First bike owned was an ’84 Honda Interceptor 500.
    Current ride is a 2003 ZZR-250 (no where near as exciting as the Interceptor, but much more forgiving, and much easier to maintain ;) )

wbsprudels
    Participant

bought my first bike in October last year: 2009 Buell Blast. Despite the Indiana winter, I’ve logged more than 2700 miles on it. Love my new hobby!

boulevardboy
    Participant

I can’t believe that this has become a ‘hobby’ of mine – I always thought it would just be a way to get around!!

Anonymous

A very cheap 1989 GS500 fixer upper. It is both my first and my present bike. It has taught me how to: set float height, rebuild carbs, set mixture screws, replace a fuel petcock, rebuild a brake caliper, replace fork springs, replace a voltage rectifier/regulator, replace a stator coil, replace handlebars, replace and paint broken body panels. To summarize, the bike has taught me to ride, and to avoid cheap fixer uppers.

Jim
    Participant

2006 Kawasaki Ninja…I love her. :-)

AtlAggie
    Participant

I started on an ’05 Rebel, simply because I knew I needed experience and practice, and I knew where I could get one pretty cheaply.

I always thought that I’d eventually move up to something bigger, because I hope I will be doing some 2-up riding one day. Apparently times are tough for the new bike salesmen, though, and a heck of a deal on a new Vulcan 500 has moved me up faster than I expected. But I put in 2,000 miles on the Rebel in about 3 months, and I feel like I was ready.

So far, the Vulcan has been all that I was expecting. I can see me keeping this ride for a long time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.