Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself New User with a question

New User with a question

This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 3 months ago by Avatarswede.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MikeAnthony
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and a new rider. I passed my MSF course a in 2006 and have been riding a Ninja 500 for the past two years. I work a lot so I don’t have an extreme amount of riding time. Maybe 2000 miles over the past two summers

I passed my state test two years ago with a perfect score, however when I ride I noticed that some times, well a lot of times, when I shift gears the RPM on the bike go way up high and the engine revs up loudly.

I’m want to get a 600cc bike for 2008 but I am afraid that if I did that on a 600cc bike, the front wheel would come off the ground.

Sooo.. my question for you guys is: Am I correct in my assumption about what would happen if I did this on a 600cc bike and how can I prevent it from happening?

Ben
    Participant

Hmmm… So are you saying when you down shift the RPMs skyrocket? Because it wouldn’t really make sense if it was happening when you upshifted, unless you were really grabbing a lot of throttle when you shift.

Also How high up are we talking? Like it jumps from 7,000 to like 10,000? or like 7,000 to 15,000? You know you are suppose to ease off the gas when you shift right? Just for a split second while your clutch is in.

Concerning your question, I wouldn’t be too worried about pulling wheelies on a 600. I recently learned how to wheelie and I actually practiced in a parking lot for an hour the first time and I couldn’t even get the front end up a little! Eventually I figured out what I was doing wrong, but even now my bike won’t wheelie unless I open it ALL the way up, and lean back in the seat. My bike is a few years old though and I would imagine an r6 or the 08 CBR would be able to wheelie quite a bit easier.

Once again, I would look at how your shifting, because if this is happening when your going from 2nd to 3rd (upshifting), vs from 3rd to 2nd (downshifting) then I would look at your technique because that really shouldn’t be happening unless you want it to happen. In fact when you upshift you should be dropping the RPM’s by a thousand or so instead of increasing them. If it is happening while downshifting then you would be slowing down and therefore the bike isn’t going to pull a wheelie on you since it takes a lot of acceleration to get the front end up. I hope that helps.

Ben
    ~Best Beginner Motorcycles Admin

MikeAnthony
    Participant

Thanks for the comment. Well it happens when I upshift.

Here’s my technique; When I am riding of course I have the throttle open, so I pull in the clutch, up shift, then let the clutch back out. At the point I let the clutch back out, it revs up quite a bit like from 7000 to about 15000.

two questions here
    1. So should I consider getting a 600cc bike this summer or get this under control first?
    2. Now do you still think this will not pop a wheelie on a 600cc bike?

Ben
    Participant

Hey Mike,

Wow that sounds really weird. I’ve never really heard of anyone shifting like that, it doesn’t seem very intuitive and it makes me wonder if its the bike and not you. You are basically saying it redlines whenever you upshift is that correct?

Also just to make sure, in your description of shifting at no point did you say that you let off the gas. Letting off the gas is a must when you pull in the clutch. As soon as you grab that clutch level you should be ready to at least EASE off the gas a smidge, but probably not cut it off entirely.

Hmm..

Well its either you or your bike thats doing this. If you think its your bike then I would suggest you have someone else ride it a bit and see if it happens to them. Or maybe ride someone elses bike and see if it happens when you are on their bike and not yours. By doing those two things you will find out which one is the problem, you or your technique.

If its your technique that is an easy fix and it just requires practice. I would suggest you get down shifting before you jump on a 600 because if you rev a 600 up to redline when shifting at the very least you will get quite the surge of acceleration. Hopefully it won’t wheelie, but depending on the bike and the speed it is a possibility.

I really have a feeling this is your bike though because this just doesn’t sound like a natural thing that someone would pick up as a bad habit. Have someone else with some riding experience ride your bike for you and tell you if it happens to them. Where do you live anyway? If you live in the california bay area I could probably help you out.

Ben

Jake
    Participant

Ben is right, just ease off the throttle when you pull in the clutch. When you don’t let off the gas and let the lever fly it could zing the clutch too, which isn’t good. Just work on letting off the throttle when the clutch is disengaged and you’ll be okay. Maybe you are trying to shift too fast?

MikeAnthony
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments. I did mention this to another guy a while back and he said something similar: to roll off the throttle before shifting. So maybe I am trying to shift too fast. When I am at a stoplight on a 500cc bike I want to get out of there fast when traffic is behind me.

Ben, I’m in Chicago but I would have loved to have had your assistance. I will try to get someone else to ride when the weather gets better here. However, I think it is my shifting to fast and not getting off the gas. I’ve heard that before but didn’t believe it.

Thanks for all your help

But, I still want a 600cc bike.Will someone say it’s okay to get one this summer, Please! LOL

Ben
    Participant

Well once you get the shifting down, if you think are ready for a 600 then go for it :) The jump from a 500 to a 600 isn’t going to be nearly as hard as a 250 to a 600.

Ben

DecoRider
    Participant

Hey, Eveyone I’m new to the forum. I’ve read some posts and find this site to be very helpful. I’m living here in the San Fernando Valley in Cali. Anyways, I am interested in getting into riding and don’t know which bike is perfect for me. I’m undecided between a 2008 Ninja 250R or a 2007 Suzuki GS500F, I’m about 5’9 260lbs. I dont know if the ninja will handle my weight or will handle me and a passanger (my girlfriend). I have a friend whos rides a 07 CBR600 and insists that my first bike should be a 600cc, but after reading the posts I’ve decided not to. So I’m not sure which bike to get. Can someone help in my decision. thanks

Ben
    Participant

The ninja 250 would be able to carry you just fine, but if you want to take your girl along on a lot of rides I would suggest something bigger like the gs500. You are probably dead set on a particular new motorcycle, but I would really suggest you get something used. Just by walking out the door you will be losing at least a thousand dollars if you ever decide to sell your bike (which you probably will in a year or two). Craigslist is super big in california, and you could probably get an older gs500 (the naked version) for only a few thousand bucks, I got mine for only 1800 once, and I turned around a year later and sold it for 2400.

Ben

DecoRider
    Participant

I think I’ll go with the suzuki. The only thing is that I’m getting a really good deal on the suzuki, $4000 for a 2007. Also I don’t know much about motos so the maintenance is going to be hard for me if I buy a used one.

AaronMerlot
    Participant

I got my 07 GS500f off the showroom floor in late August (just in time to put some miles on it then put it away till spring), Great bike! Got it for $5k out the door with $400 in a Jacket and other stuff for free. $4k sounds like a steel! My GF has not gone with me yet on a ride (she is scared). But the bike has nice power and I am not anticipating a problem when she decides to go with. By the way I am 6ft tall and about 170 pounds and it feels good to me.

swede
    Participant

@DecoRider, why would the maintenance be harder on a used one than on a new one? I would say the contrary rather, besides, you could always let a mechanic do the job on a used bike as well.

I don’t know so much about motorcycle enigine’s but I do know some things in general (Was a ship mechanic in the Navy) and that is that a new hi-rev, high-powered engine requires some attending even when it’s new, my guess would be that the first check-up would be after a couple of hundred miles, where one would check valve-play, change fluids, look for leakages and abnormal wear (in general, might be more or less on a specific engine type). This would be hard for a non-specialized mechanic to do since tolerances are so small that they’re hard to find unless you know what to look for (which is the whole meaning of early maintenance, prevention and small adjustments rather than repair)

I would totally go for a used one, as already been said, you loose 1k $ the moment you take the bike outside the dealership.
    Dunno how it works on the used-market in US, but in europe, buying from a person rather than a dealership is always preferable. Other than a lower price, you get a better picture how well the bike have been taken care of. A private deal might feel more insecure, but a professional seller on used cars/bikes is often just as much a professional of improvised exaggeration and story telling.

Thats my view anyway. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.