Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself In case a motorized unicycle is just too tame for you…

In case a motorized unicycle is just too tame for you…

This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 5 months ago by Avataruncle_bernie.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    uncle_bernie
    Participant

I have no idea what the subject line means…I just thought it might capture a few eyeballs. My nic, uncle_bernie, is a play on the character Uncle Ernie from the rock opera Tommy by The Who (my first name is Bernard). Even though I’m not at ALL like that character, I sometimes have been characterized as a less than stellar influence on my nieces and nephews (however, my nieces and nephews LOVE it when I come over :).

Anyway, my parents never let me have a motorcycle growing up but lots of my friends did so I used to sporadically get to ride their bikes as a kid and loved it. The closest I came to my own “bike” was one of these… http://www.wetbike.net/ . I spent many hours on the Tennessee River in northern Alabama and that thing. Now, at the tender age of 43, I have been bitten hard by the me-must-have-bike bug and am signing up for a safety course next month and saving for my first bike.

I have taken to heart the advice about what the best “first bikes” are but there’s one I haven’t heard mentioned and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion about. The Suzuki S40, in terms of weight, power, cost, and availability of used seems like an ideal bike. Anyone want to share their opinion on that?

Ben
    Participant

Welcome aboard bernard!

That wetbike looks like it would be a blast to ride around on. :)
    It sounds like you have some experience on land and sea, so I bet you will feel right at home on that s40. I haven’t reviewed it myself, but I did find a great review online of that bike. Check it out:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/2006_suzuki_boulevard_s40/index.html

It looks ideal for the new rider, and it is a really great looking bite to boot! I think its really cool that it uses a belt drive instead of a chain, I wish my bike did that! Usually only the more expensive bmw’s are belt driven, so its a nice change to see one of the big 4 japanese bikes with that feature. Let us know when you take the plunge, and be sure to post some pics on the forum.

Ben
    ~Best Beginner Motorcycles Admin

uncle_bernie
    Participant

Yeah, the wetbike was one of the coolest things to date I’ve had the privilege to ride (so far…). I used to ride behind barges on the river and they made these huge wakes/swells about five or six feet high. If you timed it just right you could ride down inbetween them and for a few seconds be riding between two big rolling walls of water. Then, you’d hit the wake and the thing would jump about two or three feet in the air. What a kick in the ass that was!

Anyway, looking forward to becoming part of the riding community and getting my first bike. Kudos on the site! The information is great and helps in preparing a first time rider to buy smartly and ride safely so keep it up.

Bernard

~He who laughs last didn’t get the joke…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.