Home Alt Forums General Helmet Packaging

Helmet Packaging

This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 9 months ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ilnam
    Participant

Just wondering how your new helmet was packaged. I ordered mine online and it was shipped from California to Chicago in a cardboard box. I thought there would be for sure some molding or styrofoam since the helmet seems to be somewhat “fragile”. Mine surprisingly came with a helmet bag, but do they really come from the factory loose in a the box?

Rab
    Participant

The two I’ve had (both HJC) just came in a carry bag within a box within a box which I think is enough to cushion any sharp blows it might have got in transit.

nau_lax21
    Participant

if the helmet cant handle a fedex trip in a cardboard box, im not sure i trust it protecting my head!

eon
    Participant

You missed the point. When the helmet gets a hard knock the polysomethinginate inside it gets compressed to absorb the blow. It does not uncompress, it is a one shot deal. If the helmet took a hard knock in transit it could be useless before you ever put it on your head and you would not know. I’ve never ordered a helmet online and if that is the way they get shipped, I probably never will.

Jim
    Participant

Guess they couldn’t afford packing peanuts. Who did you order it from?

Sangria7
    Participant

I think HJC send all their helmets in this manner no?

LongRanger
    Participant

I agree that if the helmet gets banged around or dropped by the Fedex or UPS guys it could damage the helmet and ruin the “one impact only” for the helmet and you would never know…. but the problem with saying you wouldn’t order online for that reason is that, how do you think the local dealer or motorcycle gear store receives their inventory? The helmets should be packaged better by the manufacturer its not the retail stores that cause the problem.

ilnam
    Participant

I ordered from extremesupply. They had really low prices, but this is my first helmet, so I was wondering if this was normal shipping/packaging. EON and LongRanger is getting at my concern. It just doesn’t seem like very good packaging to eliminate impact damage. I buy everything online, and my electronics/gadgets come better packaged from the factory and reseller. It sort of seems like the helmet box was opened and the packaging thrown out before it was shipped to me. So, how does it work when you buy one from the store? You just walk away with a helmet in your hand?

CBennett
    Participant

lol agreed, thats how mine looked..helmet in a helmet bag with the extra smoked visor beside it in its own bag..

LongRanger
    Participant

I doubt it was the vendor that packaged the helmet. At least not the inside box and bag…probably from the manufacturer that way. I ordered my Z1R helmets from motorcycle superstore and they arrived in the Z1R box, which was a tighter fit than your helmet in the picture and that was overpacked by motorcycle superstore in a larger box with plastic air bags for cushoning. extremesupply could have done something similar to reduce the risk of damage but my biggest concern is the amount or space in the box to begin with.
    I doubt there would be any damage to your helmet but there is no way to tell without spending money to have it tested. If you are still concerned return it and try a different brand and/ or vendor.

ilnam
    Participant

I’ll keep it, but I think I’ll try another vendor for my next helmet. Even if it came from the manufacturer that way, I don’t understand why the gloves I had also ordered were put inside the helmet box. I’m not used to having the product packaging opened beforehand and it obviously was in this case. oh well.

Budd
    Participant

Unfortunately this is the way that they are sent to the bike shop as well. Probably using fed x or UPS even. I used to work for UPS. You don’t want to know what those boxes go through.

“I am the best there is at what I do, and what I do ain’t nice.”-Wolverine

Anonymous

First helmet I got (on eBay) was poorly packed and missing the leaflets and tags.

I have my suspicions that it was a “floor model” that they’d lost the packaging for; also, it had been manufactured two years before I recived it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.