Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello to the friendliest board I have ever been on!

Hello to the friendliest board I have ever been on!

This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 3 months ago by Avatarbigguybbr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bigguybbr
    Participant

I’ve been reading this forum for a few weeks now reading up on all the helpful info on here. It’s really suprising to see how supportive everyone is. I get my bike this saturday, and am signed up for the earliest MSF class they offer here in CT ( end of the month :-( ) so i have been reading up so i can do some parking lot excersizes in the mean time. Look forward to talking to you all!

Kellisanth
    Participant

Hello!

Yeah, I have my bike waiting for me in storage, but waiting to take my course next week, and hopefully get my license endorsed the week after that. :)

I’m just not sure how difficult the test is, especially since my ride time will be quite limited. 😮 But I’m sure I will be okay. If not, I’ll just be broke. :o) I’m just not sure if I should even try to ride around with it until then. I’ve yet to find a “practice” spot nearby to really do such a thing. And parking too. Ooops. That’s what I really need to work on. And insurance.

How’s the weather for you up in CT? Warm enough, or cold like in Chicago?

Cheer up! The end of the month is almost here! Spring!

Munch
    Participant

Welcome! Ask all the questions t hat come to mind and have fun!

Medic
    Participant

So…what bike are you getting?

I bought my little Rebel a couple weeks ago and its just sitting in storage waiting for me to get my endorsement. I finish the MSF course this Friday, then straight off to the DMV or DOT or DPS, whatever they call it here haha.

But you’re right, everyone has been really nice to me here too. And I’m a goofball most of the tiime haha.

So yeah, share the bike info, maybe a pic?

SantaCruzRider
    Participant

So, no endorsement, no insurance, no place to park, no place to practice — but you’ve go the new bike in storage ready to go.

You’ve got the biking bug real bad. LOL

Kellisanth
    Participant

I’m blaming my co-workers (three ladies have Harleys). :)

And Flo too. ;) http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=61995217464&ref=mf

And insurance wise, Progressive was cheaper for me than Geico! 😮 By about 300!

bigguybbr
    Participant

Had the bike delivered to the house yesterday morning. It was a nice day out so i took it down to the school parking lot at the end of the road and did as many practice drills as i could think of. Then after a few hours my confidence had gotten up there so I tried some back roads. It got a little nerve racking stalling at a stop sign or riding when having another car following behind you, but I still had a lot of fun. As for meeting the friendliest people on a Honda, I wouldn’t know, I ride a Yamaha FZ6R, but i still had bikers waving to me all day long.

Munch
    Participant

Congrats and be careful. Always remember …you set the pace. Don’t let the cager behind you intimidate you into thinking you have to rabbit stop signs or traffic lights. They have the option to go around. Keep those skills in the parking lot up and stay relaxed. Keep your mind in the ride and not in the car behind you. Welcome to the biking family/community!

SantaCruzRider
    Participant

Have fun and keep practicing. Stalls happen, so don’t sweat it.
    And while it’s always good to know what’s going on around you, don’t focus too much on the rear view. Those guys see you and will most likely take care of themselves. As best you can, keep your attention forward — that’s where most of the bad stuff comes from.

bigguybbr
    Participant

Thanks SantaCruzRider! Thats exactly the advice I got today from a MSF instructor that just happened to be in the parking lot where i was practicing

bookermorgan
    Participant

Thats some pretty solid advice

bigguybbr
    Participant

My first class is tomorrow!!!! It’s just the classroom session, but then sunday is the first of the riding sessions! I think it’s going to be a little weird riding one of their bikes as I have been going out every day getting used to my own for a couple weeks now.

Aparently in class i’m going to be riding this:

which will feel way different coming from riding this:

It’ll be a little odd giving the throttle more twist than I’m used to. Also I’m not looking forward to 16 hours on that seat, as the one on my bike is way more comfortable.

Munch
    Participant

It’ll go faster then you realize. Then you will wish it was longer. Just make sure you listen and learn …. ego’s aside.

bigguybbr
    Participant

One way that the class doesn’t go faster…

DOWN POUR!

Yup, rained the whole first day of class.

The good news: You will be truely suprised the first time you ride in the rain how much grip on the road you maintain. It’s a good experience letting you know that if you are ever caught in a storm, you can still get where you need to go.

The bad: 7 hours in the rain is enough to soak even good rain gear. After you are cold and wet long enough, you get frustrated, with everyone and everything.

That person who refuses to get their bike going more than about 5 miles an hour infront of you for ever drill, even when you are supposed to be in 3rd gear, gets even more annoying.

You are also frustrated all the tiny people who run (literally, full out sprint) to grab the biggest bikes on the range, leaving a 6’6″ 260lb guy staring down at a kawasaki eliminator 125, while they are on their tippy toes on a yamaha tw200 (a seat height difference of 4.3 inches) But alas, this is a different thread I need to start.

bigguybbr
    Participant

Passed my test with flying colors yesterday! I only got 5 points off for taking a corner too slow (I think they were looking for at least one thing to mark me down on, otherwise I had a perfect score). I still have a lot more practice to do, but it feels good that I now have the endorsement. The class really helped me alot (especially once I got on a good bike) and the instructors were great. I definitly recommend this to anyone thinking of getting on a bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.