Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello, all.

Hello, all.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  romalo 7 years, 7 months ago.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

madjak30
    Participant

Munch hasn’t commented on this thread…I think he started on a Vulcan 500, then moved up to the Vulcan 900.

The 500 should be a pretty good bike. It’s engine is more “sporting” than the other V-twins in the class, with the exception of the Hyosung Aquila…it basically has the SV650 engine in a cruiser frame…(the engine is based on, but not the same as the SV)

Hyosung manufactures bikes for Suzuki, so they took the 90deg V-twin layout and designed their own…parts aren’t interchangable, but they look very similar. Anyway, from what I can tell it is getting pretty good reviews from owners…might be one to look into…

Later.

Zim_the_Giant
    Participant

I took a trip yesterday morning after work, and talked to the salesman about the Vulcan 500 LTD. I sat on it, and liked it so much, I put a deposit on it and am in the process of finalizing. It’s ALMOST everything I could ask for. It’s definitely more comfortable than the other bikes I’ve sat on, and of course, it’s gorgeous. However, I’m still a bit concerned about leg room. It was better on the Vulcan than the other bikes I looked at, but there’s always room for improvement. My question is this: Are there aftermarket kits to fit highway pegs on a bike such as the Vulcan? I know I’m just a beginner, and I’m smart enough to get some miles under my belt before using them, but I’m looking down the road a bit in asking this. Thanks again for all of the advice!

Jeff in Kentucky
    Participant

500 Vulcan long legs- here are 2 possibilities:

expensive but the best solution for very long legs:

http://www.seegercycle.com/en500-vulcan-forward-controls.aspx

cheaper and helps for long legs:

http://www.hac-products.nl/product/26/19/driver-floorboard-

I do not like highway pegs- I like to have my right foot near the back brake pedal at all times.

Zim_the_Giant
    Participant

Thank you Jeff! I’m hoping for a tax return this year, so who knows? Maybe the forward controls would be mostly covered by it. I can understand what you mean about highway pegs. I don’t know how tall you are, but if you know the dilema I face, it’s nice to stretch out for maybe 5 or 10 minutes every hour. I guess, though, that’s why most guys take “butt breaks”. XD

Jeff in Kentucky
    Participant

On a long trip, I stop every 80 to 100 miles to get gas and take a break.

Zim_the_Giant
    Participant

Exactly, Jeff. At 70 mph, one travels 80 miles in an hour and nine minutes. I think I’ll be okay, at least for a couple months.

Anyway, I went back to the dealership yesterday to sign on the dotted line, and so that my lady could see the bike, and if I scooched all the way back on the driver’s seat, the leg angle wasn’t bad at all. Maybe it was just my hyperactive imagination that made me think I had less room than I did. Either way, I’m going to go down to pick it up after the weather gets warmer, and (hopefully) after I get the BRC under my belt. Probably going to trailer it up, since I don’t want to do 75 mph highway riding as my second experience riding a bike. The thought makes me shudder. So she’ll wait for me til mother nature decides to get rid of this snow and zero degree weather. Hopefully, soon. I really do appriciate all of you guys’ input on this. I can’t wait til spring!

Jeff in Kentucky
    Participant

I trailered my new bike home in 2002 to practice on 30 mph streets for a while, before getting on 55 mph and 70 mph highways. Most beginners start out in a big parking lot, with plenty of room to take corners too wide.

I started on dirt bikes. At 8 years old, the first dirt corner I came to I lost traction for the front tire (tucked it) and crashed, but it was an old mini-bike with a 3.5 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine, so it was no big deal.

gitchy42
    Participant

I stuck mine in the back of my Ranger, and drove it home, then took it to work the next day and stuck it in the warehouse till the weekend. Got a ride to work on Saturday, drove it around the parking lot, up and down the back road, and through the parking lots of some neighboring businesses (industrial area, so a lot of HUGE parking lots to keep it interesting). When I got comfortable on the bike (the 650 is a lot different than the tw200 I was riding in class), I took it home. On one of the back roads home I was up to 70, grinning from ear-to ear before I new it. Had a bit of an oh-sh*t moment when I looked at the speed-o.

We have a whole rain-free week coming up, so when I get my bike back together (hopefully this afternoon) I’m going to be ready to have some fun :-)

Zim_the_Giant
    Participant

So, went to the dealership and picked up my bike the other week. It’s sitting in the garage, taunting me. My MSF class starts in three days, and I couldn’t be more ready (or excited!). All I can say is, thanks guys. I never would have made it this far without all of your insight. I don’t plan on leaving this small but productive forum, if I can help it. After all the help I got getting started, I hope to be able to give back a little bit.

Jeff in Kentucky
    Participant

This below is a great book for beginners and experienced riders, and my local public library has it. The section about having a passenger was especially good:

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039

romalo
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.