Home Alt Forums General Got the bike!!

Got the bike!!

This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 4 months ago by AvatarMunch.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Medic
    Participant

Hey folks, I know some of you already know, but I finally got my new Rebel. I had it delivered to my storage until I get legal to ride it and get it on post and stuff.

I was out there today getting a bicycle out to give to some kid, and I couldn’t help myself. Just had to pull it out and of course it led to me riding it around the storage yard for a while. Its a big storage complex, so I was able to get it up to 3rd gear in a quiet area.

Felt great! Handled beautifully from the get-go, very easy to control. Did some low speed turns and stuff, everything worked out great. I felt very comfortable riding it.

I still can’t take it out until March, but atleast now I have a motorcycle picture instead of a car by my name! Hahaha
    Thanks to everyone for all the help, I’m sure I’ll be needing more.

Munch
    Participant

Congrats!!!! I have heard the regulations on military bases are more strict then civilian standards in most states. Just be careful and …well….. as we used to say when we were kids…. your only in trouble if you get caught. LOL…. I know not the right thing to say, but I can never manage to get a new toy and not play with it the first 15 mins its in my possession.

Medic
    Participant

Thanks Munch, yeah the regs here are tighter. The BRC is required just to get the bike on post, we have to wear an approved vest, etc. No problem since the bike’s off post and I’ll be in reg before long.

I keep wanting to ride it though. I’m at work, just thinking about taking my bike out hahaha. Gotta be good though, no sense in screwing up for a couple weeks wait.

Sangria7
    Participant

Yea military standards are strict. The vest has to have so much reflective material on it and as Medic said it MSF is required.

Helmet is also required on base – as far as I remember.

Too many troopers die on bikes every year….

Kellisanth
    Participant

Anyone tried out Icon’s MilSpec stuff?

Their vests or their backpacks?

Medic
    Participant

ICON was what I was going to go with, and I see ALOT of people here wearing that vest. I went with the Scorpion because I liked the way it looked, and I didn’t see too many people wearing it. It was a couple bucks more, but I guess I wanted to be different.

Most of the riders I see here though, to include my squad leader, all have the Icon vest. To be honest, it looks more breathable than the Scorpion vest I ordered.
    But I haven’t gotten it yet, so I don’t know for sure.

Depending on your needs/requirements, there are cheaper options available. Are you trying to be be legal for post, or just trying to gain visibility?

SSG H

I wear the Icon vest on post when I am in ACU’s. It’s not bad, its pretty light and breathable. There are times I have to double check to make sure I have it on because sometimes I forget I am even wearing it. Just don’t put any papers in the little zip up pocket because if it rains it will get soaked.

I wear the Scorpion EXO 400 helmet, which I think is a pretty good helmet for a little over a hundred bucks. I saw the Scorpion vest but like mentioned earlier, it seemed a little heavier.

As far as military standards, the rules are pretty strict: must have motorcycle class 2 license/permit, registration under your name, insurance, safety, and the MSF Course. In Hawaii (not sure about other bases) they require you to have a 25th ID Eval card on your specific bike along with the MSF Card. For example, if you have 2 motorcycles, you need to get evaluated on both bikes before you can legally ride it. Or if you purchase a new bike, same rules apply; must get eval’d on that particular bike.

And to add to the military guidelines, of course, you have to ALWAYS wear a bright colored (white, yellow, orange or green) long sleeve shirt, or long sleeve shirt with a reflective vest during the day, REFLECTIVE vest at night with long sleeve, helmet, eye pro (or full face helmet with lid closed), long pants, ankle high boots, and gloves. This goes for on and off post (in Hawaii at least).

Clay Dowling
    Participant

They might be strict, but that’s close to what I wear when riding anyway. Except I wear a jacket with armor, and it isn’t that bright color. I couldn’t find a combination of bright color and all-weather gear, or I would be wearing it. I might be mistaken for construction equipment, but people don’t usually hit construction equipment either.

Loki
    Participant

Good job and ride safe

Medic
    Participant

Thanks Loki.
    Exactly one week until I start the BRC, I’m really looking forward to it. I have all my high speed gear and I’m itchin’ to get the bike out. Still don’t have pants, but I have been looking around some.

I peeled the little warning stickers off the gas tank so now I have some “goo” to remove. No big deal though, maybe I’ll hit it with an alcohol pad or something. I ordered some cool Grateful Dead stickers to put on there instead. Still looking for extra lights/reflectors, but I’ll figure that out soon enough.

I have a feeling my poor Mustang is going to feel neglected this summer haha

Munch
    Participant

LOL… my cage definitely get neglected during sunny days. Last summer i had to near fumigate the Monte due to ants setting up shop underneath and thinking the car was part of their home. Goo gone works wonders for the tacky film left behind…. that or a blow drier and some gentle rubbing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.