Home Alt Forums General Got my first bike EVER today and my first ride!

Got my first bike EVER today and my first ride!

This topic has 56 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by AvatarBen.
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    jsan08
    Participant

Dang, that sounds painful…luckiily I have age on my side (20) lol. I understand why you would want it after that tho.

Obviously the more armor you have on the better during a crash. But it seems it would get to a point where it’s just not convenient to wear so much. Especially if you are commuting or getting on/off your bike to run errands/do things a lot. I am sticking to the ATGATT rule. Right now I have a full face helmet (duh) shift torque jeans, a shift mesh/textile jacket, shift gloves, and tourmaster sc boots. That’s all I can afford since I’m starting out but I wear all of it whenever I plan to ride. The jacket has good armor in the shoulders and elbows and has a back pad. The gloves arent full gauntlet (not really a fan of the full gauntlet look either) but cover the wrist bone and have hard armor. I couldn’t afford armored over pants so I got the jeans. I am thinking that getting a pair of knee/shin guards to go along with the jeans would be the next best thing?

For you guys who have been riding for a little bit I assume you have picked up various pieces of protective gear. What do you guys normally wear if you are commuting? Spirited riding on the highway or backroads? Going down the street real quick? Riding to work/run errands? Cold days? Hot days?

Im trying to get an idea of the gear I might want to pick up on in the future. So far I know I want a pair of armored over pants and a full textile jacket…and eventually I would like to get leathers. Also would like to upgrade my helmet to a nice Shoei in the future. All of this takes time and money tho. Any thoughts?

jsan08
    Participant

Ya…now that is one distraction I wouldn’t mind crashing over lol (jk/*knocks on wood*) haha

TrialsRider
    Participant

Bought an Outback Oilskin jacket while I was out west recently
    http://www.outbacktrading.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=109
    I didn’t really purchase it for the bike but I must say it makes a nice riding jacket for not too much money.
    …the cape is removable

Jeff in Kentucky
    Participant

Around here in the summer, I see people wearing bathing suits and sandals on motorcycles- they might look like raw hamburger if they crash.

I wear knee and shin armor made for a dirt bike- it has vents to stay cool, under my padded nylon motorcycle pants, and they cost less than $25. Your stronger jeans are a good way to hide armor:

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=5CB48EB4991753D6CACDE52647376608?webCatId=34&webTypeId=532&navTitle=MotorcycleApparel-Men%27s&navType=closeout&prodFamilyId=18735&stockId=158696&ref=shoj

This guy just went for a short, slow ride around the parking lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD9az2eAv0

jsan08
    Participant

I really like that video, very informative and definitely serves as a warning. And he was only going 15-20mph.

I actually saw those same shift knee/shin guards last night on motorcyclesuperstore.com…cheap yet effective and they got really good reviews. Since I only have jeans I think I will invest in a pair.

eon
    Participant

I’m coming up on 3 years riding so I’ve picked up quite a few bits of gear now. My first outfit probably came in around $700 for boots/pants/jacket/gloves/helmet so it wasn’t the best out there. Since then I’ve been adding to it when I had the money and felt the need for something better. I’ve managed to survive the past 2 Seattle winters wearing a mesh jacket with an old cycling GoreTex jacket thrown over the top (with lots of layers). This saved me some money as good jackets can be one of the most expensive items you buy. Probably will break down next winter and buy a dedicated winter jacket as I was surviving and not enjoying the cold weather. May even go down the electric route but that’s even more money.
    Nice helmets can be very nice but be aware they don’t necessarily mean better protection. It can mean more plush materials, better paint job etc but it can be the same or worse protection than a $100 helmet. Check out http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ for a comparison on protective abilities of helmets. Having said all that I LOVE my Arai as it just fits me perfectly. I certainly was not looking to spend $500 on a helmet but once I tried it on there was no going back.
    I pretty much wear all my gear all the time. The only concession I make is my 2 mile commute on city streets to work. Then I skip the pants and just wear my jeans but that’s a pretty safe bet. The cyclists are passing me more often than not! The most important thing about gear is to buy stuff that you will actually wear. I have a top of the line external back protector but it just got too tedious strapping it on all the time. I now have a very good protector that fits inside my jacket but I know it’s not as good as the one lying on my closet floor. But in this case convenience won over protective ability.

jsan08
    Participant

Eon, it sounds like that you don’t have a cage to drive and only use a motorcycle for transportation?

Nice link, btw. Very useful. I compared my exo-700 with a top of the line shoei. Everything was pretty much the same except the shoei had slightly better left and rear side impact ratings (exo 700 was in the orange, shoei was one up in the yellow) Those shoei paint jobs sure are sweet tho…

I got a pair of those shift knee pads along with some scorpion reflective stickers to put on my helmet, a darker tinted visor for sunny days, and a green mohawk. lol

I know, I know, you either love or hate the mohawk. Personally I have always thought they were pretty cool and kinda funny. They could also help with visibility and other drivers around notice you better…though it may be to notice you and think you are either stupid or cool for sportin’ the hawk. But hell I could care less, as long as they see me haha.

eon
    Participant

Yes, I sold my car when I moved back to Seattle and have been carless ever since (3 years ago). It’s not as hardcore as it sounds as I live and work downtown (the 2 mile commute) and we don’t really get it that cold up here either but no surprise it does rain a little bit. That’s generally not a problem if you have waterproof gear but finding gear that really is waterproof is a challenge. My cycling jacket did really well but it wasn’t designed to withstand 60mph onslaughts and it has been leaking recently so the hunt is on for something else. There is a $300 Klim GoreTex jacket that looks nice but it’s just a waterproof layer only. Might save up and spring for a real winter jacket. Will cross that bridge when it starts to get cold again.

Oh, I also cheat by having a scooter that gives great protection from the elements. In fact I only got a real motorcycle 4 months ago. I initially wanted to get a Ninja 250 like you have but 3 years ago when gas prices were high you just couldn’t get one. So I somehow ended up with a maxi-scoot that has served me well. It still beats a motorcycle hands down when it comes to practicality (but not in the grin factor stakes).

jsan08
    Participant

I still have my truck and I have been thinking of selling her but I don’t think I want to be carless. Plus I love that truck…and she comes in so handy. It’s kind of become my little beater truck lol. Plus I figured I could use her to transport my bike if I ever needed to. The paint on the roof and hood is all faded and ruined from the elements and the drop in bed liner is all broken off where the liner goes over the side. I had it gorilla taped for a while but one on one side piece flew off going over the coronado bridge one day and then about 1 years later I was going over a bridge here in dc and the other piece on the other side finally broke and flew off haha. So she’s not much to look at but I try to take good care of her internals, the things that will keep her running for a long time.

So what kind of real motorcycle do you have?

eon
    Participant

If you can keep your truck I would as not having 4 wheels can be a real pain at times. I just can’t justify the cost of buying a car that would sit idle 99% of the time. Plus that would eat into my next bike funds!

I have a Kawasaki Versys, which is a 650cc parallel twin. It’s kind of a cross between a sport tourer and a dual sport with the emphasis on the sporting side. Closet comparison is probably a VStrom but there still a big difference between the two.

jsan08
    Participant

Actually before I even got my motorcycle a friend and I had just started rebuilding a small block mopar 360 to swap out for the V6. But things got off to a slow start and it would have took all summer. I had big plans for my dakota but I decided to settle on what mods I have on the truck already, focus on preventive maintenance, and try something new. So I decided to put the truck money elsewhere and wahla now I have a motorcycle. I have to say I’m glad I went the motorcycle route…much more fun. :)

Just googled the Versys, I don’t think I have ever seen one of those on the road but I have to say it does look damn sexy. ;)

Ben
    Participant

Gorgeous looking bike! I’ve always been a fan of that paint scheme.

Ben

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.