Home Alt Forums Off Topic Cell phones and recommendations?

Cell phones and recommendations?

This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 4 months ago by AvatarWeaponZero.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I would put this out there to see what you guys have to say. I have verizon wireless right now, and my phone is pretty old (its a RAZR or whatever), but my 2 year contract is ending in march. I really want to get a new phone, specifically a smart phone like a iphone or blackberry or something similar. I really need something with an easily accessible todo/task list and an easy to use calendar. I’ve even debated getting a dev model android phone and using it with verizon.

Basically I’ve been super happy with Verizon wireless, but their phone selection SUCKS!!! They don’t have the iphone, they don’t have the blackberry bold, they don’t have the palm pre, they don’t have the android phone, they don’t have anything! I really don’t want to move to ATT mainly because I wasn’t really happy with my service when they were just Cingular and I ditched out of my plan early. Because of that I’m pretty sure I’ll have to pay anywhere from 300-800 dollar deposit if I go with them (and thats not even including the phone!).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone bothered hacking an iphone? Should I just bite the bullet and go with ATT? Right now my top 5 phones are…

Palm Pre
    Iphone
    BlackBerry Bold
    G1 Android Phone
    Blackberry Storm

I’ve heard bad things about the storm (mainly it is slow), can anyone confirm this? Haha this is REALLY off topic, but I figure everyone has a cell phone right?

Ben

MaxDadAK
    Participant

Blackberry Blackberry Blackberry Blackberry Blackberry Blackberry…..nuff said. They’ve been in this longer than almost anyone. While there are other phones that offer more gimmick programs to buy, the black berry is more than adept at scheduling, tasks, etc. It’s what there designed for first and formost. Honestly any model within the last few years will do you just fine if that’s what you need it for.

Ben
    Participant

Well thats good to know. Maybe I’ll settle for the curve if the Bold isn’t available by the time I want to get a new phone. Thanks MaxDadAK!

Ben

BouncingRadical
    Participant

I love it, it comes with a good calendar and for a todo list there are a ton of different ones on the market that are free and really good. I personally use the AK notebook app for my todo lists. The full keyboard that slides out is really good, I never liked the screen touch keyboard of the iphone all that much. I’ve posted several posts on here from my phone actually. Also if you are integrated with google, like gmail and such it just gets much better because the phone integrates with all your google apps.

Ben
    Participant

well I am already a google whore, I use their Gmail, tasks, browser (chrome), google checkout, and I used to use their calender. The only thing that has made me question it is I can’t find an application marketplace online. I mean, there is this one site, but I didn’t see a todo list on there, and I haven’ seen many ‘home brew’ applications either. Where do you get your applications? How is the phone/sound quality?

I agree with you about the keyboards as well, which is why I am now leaning Blackberry or G-phone.

Ben

Munch
    Participant

Dang….and all I want is one that can actually do 2 things really well…. send and receive phone calls. Guess I am getting older by the day.

BouncingRadical
    Participant

All the apps are on the android market, which you can only access through the phone as far as I know, and there are tons of homebrew apps, some are awesome while some its like some 12 yr old wrote heh. If you already use google calendar then your phone will sync with it so you can add stuff from either and it will show up on both your phone and on the internet. The sound quality is good I’ve found, its better than my last phone for sure! Comes with a head set for phone calls too.

You can see the top 100 apps here, but they don’t have a description and most names don’t really tell you what the app does heh. http://atrackdog.a0soft.com/index.php?view=weekly

edit: Oh and all the apps are free pretty much

Ben
    Participant

Looks like I need to see if I can find someone with an android phone that I can play with for a day or so lol Thanks BouncingRadical!

Ben

BouncingRadical
    Participant

As a side note they have a spread sheet app that you can put your fill up gallons and your miles between fill ups and you can keep a realtime look at your GPM and how your bike is performing. Somethin dumb I’ve been doin’ but the phone makes it easy.

Loki
    Participant

Android
    Google
    Freeware
    Amazing.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Dont get the storm, it has an awful track record with coustmers. Ive heard alot of people have to sent theirs back because of flaws. I.E. no touch, no click, funky screen, slow…..
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    If i were you and you i would look into the amazing phone (or phones) by HTC. Mainly the HTC Touch Diamond Pro. http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro/overview.html
    Review- http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-touch-pro-sprint/4505-6452_7-33248637.html
    Also verizion carrys it also
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4331
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    If these dont do it for you. Let me know.
    Im thinking about getting the Samsung Omina.

smokeizfire
    Participant

but in SoCal, Metro PCS is up and coming. Unlimited calling, text messaging, web browsing…basically unlimited everything for 1 price and no contract(the best part of all). I paid $50 to cut my Sprint phone on. And, my bill is a little over $50/month. No more..”let me call you back after 9pm when my minutes are free…” I say you can’t beat that with a bat. When my ex-girlfriend heard about it, she immediately deactivated her service from Sprint. It cost her some money, but she’ll more than make up for that by what she’ll save from switching. And she was able to keep her old number. What more can you ask for?

Kellisanth
    Participant

Personally, I use a Palm Treo (755p) thru Sprint which is pretty decent for what I do overall. And I don’t talk much on the phone, if any! :D

My previous service was with AT&T/Cingular (nokia phones). I might go back to them just for the iPhone. To be honest, I’m a Mac user. ;) Unless I can get Sprint to make use of the iPhone. 😮

Partly the reason why I switched to Sprint was that my contract with AT&T/Cingular was up (didn’t realise I was w/o a contract for almost a year!) and thru work, I get about 25pct off, as compared to 15~20pct with AT&T (need to look at that again).

I’m not too much into the Blackberry, but then again, I haven’t used it much myself. The iPhone, I’ve seen and used a friends (to see the features and such) thus like that a lot more. The only glitch I see on that, is that unlike my Palm, I cannot upgrade the storage capacity.

However, the applications available for the iPhone can’t be scoffed at, as compared to what’s available for the Palm.

Amoryl
    Participant

I heard it’s stupidly easy to hack the iphone so you can use any network for it. not for me though, I want a cellphone that is a phone, and thats it. preferably flip so I don’t butt dial. all the snazzy mp3/camera/whatever dohickies seem to me more likely to result in running out of juice right when i’m on the lonely country road with a flat tire, no spare, and a car full of perishables.

that being said, I’d lean more twards the crackberry, the Iphone has neat lil gizmos and spiffy touchscreens, but it’s really geared to gadget junkies and tech nerds more than functionality.

Kellisanth
    Participant
    Amoryl wrote:
    that being said, I’d lean more twards the crackberry, the Iphone has neat lil gizmos and spiffy touchscreens, but it’s really geared to gadget junkies and tech nerds more than functionality.

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

I might be a bit old and slow, but I like gadgets and techie stuff! :)

I thought of the Blackberry, but didn’t want to pay the additional fee for the bb-data.

And I don’t stick phones in my pockets… Hip holster, yes. But pockets no. The vibrate function doesn’t do a thing for me. :D

WeaponZero
    Participant

I use Verizon Wireless because I have friends in the truck driving industry and they all say that, as a trucker, you don’t really have a choice, you have to go Verizon due to the service everywhere. I can confirm this as well because when I went out to Seven Springs Resort last fall, I went with a group of people who, between all of us, had cell phones using Sprint, Cricket, T Mobile, and Verizon, and my Verizon phone was the only one that got service there.

As far as phones go I like the Casio G’Zone Boulder because I’ve never been much for all those web features. I’d trade all that for a phone that can be run over by a truck and is completely waterproof, and that’s exactly what I got.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.