Home Alt Forums General Anyone have ERC experience??

Anyone have ERC experience??

This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by Avatarbigguybbr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bigguybbr
    Participant

Ran into my BRC instructor the other night while doing some PLP. We got to talking and he started telling me about an ERC (Expert Riding Course) session that was going on the 5th of July, and how I should attend. I enquired as to if I should go, as I haven’t taken the IRC (Intermidiate yadda yadda) yet. Has anyone here attended? If so, can you share your experience.

eon
    Participant

Be careful of the naming of the course as there seems to be a whole range of names applied here. The ERC is generally regarded as course after the BRC. Where I took it they called it the Experienced Rider Course (which is the same as the IRC).

MSF has just developed a class after this with more advanced techniques. I think my local place is calling it the Advanced RC but I have seen someone calling it the Advanced Expert RC, which is a hell of a mouthful (not to mention making it sound like a class for the top 5% of riders).

For what its worth, I thought the intermediate class (whatever you want to call it) was only marginally worthwhile. It is essentially the same as the BRC with the really basic stuff taken out (walking the bike, friction zone, cheesy class room videos). Most of the exercises are the same with the exact same instructions. It is good to get feedback on how you are doing but it is really just reaffirming what you learned in the BRC.

If you have been doing PLP by yourself, can do the box, weaves, emergency stops with no problem then I would go skip the intermediate class and go straight to the advanced one.

ranette
    Participant

I’ll be taking the ERC on May 31st, I’ll report back shortly thereafter. I believe they suggest that you have approximately 3000 miles before you take the class, though it is simply a suggestion not a rule. With my scooter and motorcycle experience I am just above 3K, however, I probably would have taken the intermediate class, rather than the ERC, if I could have taken it on my own bike.

eon
    Participant

The ERC is the IRC (at least here in WA).

ranette
    Participant

The school that I’ve used in NY and the classes given in VT have both an intermediate class, IRC, and an experienced class, ERC. From what I remember once you’ve passed the BRC they feel you’re ready for the IRC; to take the ERC you should have a few thousand miles under your belt. For me, like I had mentioned, the selling point of the ERC is that you use your own bike. I believe I read somewhere that the IRC is new for this year, and in fact doesn’t appear to be on the MSF’s website. It is on the site of the NY school.
    http://www.ridemss.com/?page=22&ctype=25

eon
    Participant

Ok, I give up. I just checked the website for the school I went to and they have now rebranded the ERC as the IRC and the BRC is now the NRC (Novice). They have no ERC listed. I know they were planning on adding more advanced training in the very near future, maybe this will be branded as ERC?

I need to go lie down now, feeling dizzy.

ranette
    Participant

So I took the ERC on Sunday. The class was much smaller than my BRC, although I believe that the class limit size is the same, most BRC’s are sold out weeks in advance and there seems to be less of a demand for the ERC. Everyone rode their own bike, and the bikes ranged from a Boulevard S40(which was ridden two up in the class) to one of the BMW 1200’s. Everyone taking the class was a competent rider, no problems with basic control, but none of us were perfect, in general I’d say that our skills were pretty well matched. I’d say the average time street riding was in the neighborhood of 3 years. However, I have less than a year and certainly fit right in skill wise. If you think you could complete the BRC on your own bike without constant instruction; you are being watched and critiqued-instructed when necessary, rather than being instructed on the basics-then you would be fine in an ERC.

As opposed to the BRC the coaching allows for more of your own personal comfort rather than sticking to absolute rules. No hard and fast rules about covering the brake or clutch or even hand position on the throttle. Then again if someone in the class were obviously a danger to themselves or anyone else our coach might have been more adamant about small details. The attitude seemed to be that we were all capable riders and nobody is going to ride exactly the same. Stick to the basic tenets, head up, look where you want to go, squeeze don’t grab, etc.

As for the class itself, there is no classroom time and the fact that everyone can ride makes things move along very quickly. Most of the exercises were pretty similar to the BRC, “The Box” and I still hate that [email protected]#$% thing, I believe is identical. So was the exercise where you straighten up the bike in the middle of a turn and quickly stop. I’m pretty sure that the cone weaves were offset more than they were in the BRC and the course that was laid out at the end certainly seemed more challenging than anything I remember from the BRC, a straightaway into a decreasing radius turn, through a weave, into another decreasing radius turn, back to the straightaway. However there was not any exercise that would be intimidating for anyone who had some time in the saddle.

I enjoyed the class and certainly would recommend it to anyone who wanted to take a step beyond the BRC.

eon
    Participant

Glad you enjoyed the class. I think they call that exercise at the end “the peanut”. I am lucky that the MSF range is close enough to me that I can go practice on it and that’s my new favorite.

Your right about this class not being as popular as the BRC. My local school does at least 2 BRC a week but only 1 ERC a month, and my first class was canceled as not enough people signed up!

Now I just need to get the moolah together to take the advanced class!

bigguybbr
    Participant

Maybe i’ll hold off till the beginning of next season to take it then. I’ll use it as more of a refresher.
    I get to see my riding coaches from my BRC around all the time, and i was doing the BRC course on my own bike for a while before and after I took the class.

I doubt the offsets were any more pronounced, they just feel that way when you aren’t on such a light bike. My bike resists being thrown side to side at lower speeds and I really have to push the handle bars and adjust my body position to get it to move. It’s still a fun excersize though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.