Home Alt Forums Pictures & Videos A show for the Okies among us

A show for the Okies among us

This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 10 months ago by Avatarowlie.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    eon
    Participant

I know there are a couple of folks on here from Oklahoma. Thought this might be of interest to you.
    http://www.twowheelok.com/TV/

Looks like a well made program, even if made on a tight budget, but I have to confess I found it a little boring. I watched the first part of the Route 66 program and it did nothing to make me want to go there. Whatever glory Rte 66 once had it’s long gone (at least on this stretch). I will give the show another chance with a different episode but I hope they show something that is attractive today instead of wistfully reminiscing over bygone days.

owlie
    Participant

Haven’t had a chance to watch the shows yet though they sound interesting, but I will say this…

Oklahoma has its own kind of beauty. From the rolling terrain of the Ozarks to the desert scrub of the panhandle, the diversity of flora and wildlife is incredible. However, it something that not everyone appreciates. In the summer it tends to be hot, humid and brown and in the winter it is cold, windy and brown.

For those of us used to the lush greenness of the pacific northwest, it pales in comparison.

And if you don’t agree with that- consider that for most of America, Route 66 is the only positive thing they know about the state. Otherwise, it is a bunch of rednecks who go to rodeos and tractor pulls, eat BBQ, and don’t have the good sense to drink real beer- though they drink plenty of the stuff that they call beer. :)

madjak30
    Participant

Oklahoma seems a lot like Alberta in Canada…we don’t have route 66, but we do have some of the strangest road side attractions…Vulcan, Alberta. Huge Star Trek mecca, even Leonard Nemoy has visited. They have a statue of the USS Enterprise Starship (not the air craft carrier of the same name), and a UFO landing pad…Vegreville, Alberta…a huge Egg…Beaverlodge, Alberta…a huge beaver…Drumheller, Alberta…huge T-Rex statue…Edmonton, Alberta…worlds largest cowboy boot…maybe we should start a thread for pics in front of some strange roadside attractions that we come accross…

Maybe on Saturday, I will head out and get some pics…as good of an excuse as any to go for a ride…

As for Owlie’s beer comments…well, we drink a lot of beer too, but our beer (Canadian beer) is better. Much more flavour…

Later.

owlie
    Participant

Oklahoma beer is near beer- there is a state mandated 3.25% limit on the alcohol content… :) Personally I can’t stand the stuff (near beer or the real thing).

And your pictures of Alberta do remind me a lot of rural Oklahoma- just replace the canola with corn… Add on top the fantastic thunder storms you mentioned in an earlier post- it makes me homesick.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.