Sportster as first bike

I have decided to write a basic review. I am "hiding" it back in this area, I do not want to add this kind of conversation to the "general forum".

First, I have less than 500 miles on a street bike, some "very" basic experience 35 years ago on a hunk of junk that had no breaks. One crash at 50 mph on the "one bike" I rode back then that had breaks. So please take what ever I say with the total lack of experience in mind. You will find far better voices are on this board.

The reason I am doing this is that I feel those who lack 36" or 38" inseams lack a full understanding of the difficult place us tall guys land on a first bike. Even I toss out the obvious duel purpose option. I had zero desire to ride that bike. For me it was "even to tall". Just not my style. So what do I do?

Story aside, I landed on a Sportster the day I went, cash in hand to buy a 250. Jerk of a dealer later, and I am on this bike. So, thats it, bought what I did. How now, after 2 months do I feel about that choice, based on all I read, and my personal experience?

I have to be honest. I do not consider the 883c I bought a "bad" first bike. Not even close. In many ways it is a great first bike. It for a tall guy like me is a "small" bike to deal with. The power of that V Twin is very predictable, no unexpected "surges" of power. I have no worry that I will wheelie this bike by accident. The power is totally controllable. Better than that, at traffic lights it has great low end torque and never stalls at lights. Very, very forgiving in day to day stop and go riding with perfect power balance. Front and rear disk breaks are pleasing, but don't try to stand you on that front tire . . again to "me" that is a plus. I want control, and lack the experience to control state of the art, almost uncontrollable performance. Be that throttle or extreme breaking ability's.

I have no idea how fast this bike will go, but according to what I have read, stock, she in a 105, 110 mph bike. I find she is most happy between 65 and 70, or maybe that is not her, and it is just me. She would do 80 all day long for sure. She is not the best choice if that is 90% of your driving, but hopefully any new rider on any bike is not living at those speeds . . . . . .

As a new rider, my only issue has been "weight". She is almost 600 lbs. How heavy is that? Well as a new rider who is learning the most basic of the lessons of riding . .pretty heavy. Not insurmountable, but relevant for sure. It is the one and only negative I really give this bike. What I did in TWO days on a 250 in MSF has required many hours and nearly two months worth of free time to re learn on this bike. Slow, hard turns are a mater of skill. When you lack the skill, and the confidence, that turn is a place of fear and potential disaster. Miss a turn in city traffic, and you have just hit a car head on.

Can I say the weight is a reason to NOT buy this bike? No. However, I will stress with all I have to say, chose it with caution and discipline. If you are not the type to practice in controlled, safe environments until you have learned how to handle the "weight" of this bike, then start smaller. I see some bikes that are considered acceptable on this board that simply replace the weight of this bike with the unpredictable and certainly far superior power of other bikes. Any safer? Not really. If anything, the weight is the safest power curve to overcome. It will lay you down, not shoot you into a concrete wall . . . . or so I think. Even a Sportster at a 14 second 1/4 mile @ 90 mph is pretty fast. A corvette just does 12 seconds at 116mph. Do bikes go faster, hell yes, a lot. And that is kind of the point.

As a first bike goes, any throttle worries are gone in a week. In fact the absolute predictable and low end power in the throttle are very forgiving factors for new riders. Even the handling, AFTER you get used to the weight, and effort that REQUIRES some extra work, she handles well, light and nimble. But, do not begin to think she will behave as that 250 in class did. You have to catch up with this bike. WHEN you do, then she will do anything that 250 did. YOU are the week link!

In the end, if you are the type to understand that you indeed you are the week link? If so, this might be a good bike for you if you in response will dedicate some effort to master it.

All of what I say is based on the assumption you are sooooooo tall, other more reasonable, more fun, less stressful options are difficult to settle for.

I am adding pics of me sitting on my sporty to demonstrate how SMALL this bike is. I just wanted to also warn riders like me how big this bike will feel once you feet hit the peggs . . . . it is a "compromise", not a perfect solution.

Well it certainly doesnt look to be too big for you, and you gave it the proper amount of time and respect to learn how to ride her properly......its a beautiful bike by the way. I was just wondering if you had any mechanical issues with it so far?

Runs perfect so far. When the 07's came out they had some issues with corrosion in the fuse box . . .anyway, the fix was treating it. (A little dialectic grease.) I was unsure if that was fixed on the 08' so I did it anyway myself. Other than being a little warm in traffic as you would expect from any air cooled engine, it has been fine so far. (Knock on wood.) And I have spent a lot of time slow and dragging that back break! She don't care much. I know several people who have owned them, all were happy with them. What happens in Miami is people do not go bigger, they stop riding after enough close calls in this traffic.

The picture, hardly looks like a froward peg, does it. (-: Kind of like sitting in a comfortable chair. I like the "small feel" of it. Low to the ground, but not cramped . . I will add a Mustang wide seat to it at some point, besides being a little more cozy, I think it will add inch back and up for me as well. Times are a little tight right now, and adding toys to the bike will have to wait for a while. I'll just keep getting a few miles in where I can.

""""Democracy is Two Wolves and a Lamb Voting on What to have for Lunch. Liberty is a Well-Armed Lamb Contesting the Vote--Benjamin Franklin"""""

2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
Sales, Peterson's North Miami Store

It's a forward peg to those of us shorter in height than you are. :)

Andrew

What is the mpg you are getting on the Harley? Just curious....

By the book they claim as high as 60mpg. I haven't looked at it yet, and think about it . . .running circles around cones while feathering the rear break isn't going to be real world, is it? (-: If we get another weekend without some kind of tropical storm or hurricane hanging around and messing up our weather, I want to make another long ride. I'll try to remember to track it on that one. (We have 3 more storms stacked up and it looks like the next two weekends are going to be Wendy and wet again . . .oh well, that time of year. )

""""Democracy is Two Wolves and a Lamb Voting on What to have for Lunch. Liberty is a Well-Armed Lamb Contesting the Vote--Benjamin Franklin"""""

Well, the parking lot, doge cone, drag break stuff gave me 37 mpg. This morning, I put another 75 miles on it and just ran to a nice Marina in south Miami. Nice ride, under 60 the whole way, turns in that road! Never got out of 4th, lots of stop and go, 3000 rpm mostly, and got 49mpg. Today was also the official day I passed the 500 mile mark, so she is out of "break in", on the way home I found a few places to shift at 5900 rpm rather than 4. (((-: Pretty fast. Hate to say it, any faster would be a little scary, at least for now. ((-:

Anyway, call it 50 mpg with a new rider and she is far from worn in nicely. It will improve some as my riding habits do and as she breaks in more. Next year with a stage one and new exhaust, I am sure it will be close to 60 on a good day at least.

Attached a few pics from today, the destination, just not to be shown up by Booze mountains, well we have one too! Miami's very own Mount Trashmore! Located next to upscale homes, and a lovely marina. (It I do have to divulge, it is a land fill, and the fish have 3 heads around hear, and in those homes, your down wind days are just wonderful! LoL This is the place I for years lunched my boat. Anyway, great day, great weather. Miami at its best. I will try to do Key Biscayne next. Makes for nice backgrounds . .

Miamis only "mountian". Mount trash more: Miamis only "mountian". Not all land fill, nice place reallyNot all land fill, nice place reallyboats and trashmoreboats and trashmore

Yeah i'm in the same boat...i live in south Ga so i have to deal with the damn hurricanes myself, and it is a pain!!! especially since i dont have an indoor garage (i know...i know...) so everytime bad weather comes, i politely ask my neighbor to store my bike in his garage, otherwise i'd be screwed....But yeah, Hanna is supposed to be coming my way so im getting ready for that, and theres no telling what Ike and Kyle may do...sigh...such is life in the south i suppose...and when it isnt raining its just hot.....really....really....hot.....

The reason i was asking about the mechanical problems was because alot of the harley riders in my area seem to be spending more time working on their bikes than riding them...it may just be my imagination of course, but thats just something that has kind of steered me away from harleys.

Oh, and im sorry for not replying directly to the previous posts, but for some reason whenever i try to, the text box never loads...so i have to post a completely new one (i just didnt want you guys thinking i wasnt computer savvy :P)

I think that 90% of the guys you are talking about "create" the issues. (-; It is an easy bike to work on, but when shade tree guys try to add pipes and whatever . . change forks, suspension, breaks . . the basic bike is REAL old. Don't try to rebuild it and the bugs are pretty much worked out. LoL They are not state of the art performance machines, but they are reliable and simple machines till you go to messen with them, and THAT is what most Harley guys do. LoL Just like when I was young and trying to "improve" those old cars . . . did not always work as planed. -;

Heck, I don't have a garage, I have a porch. You will be on the clean side of this one, should not be any more than a rained out weekend if it acts they way the say it will. This one will a be NC storm I think. We are looking at the one behind it. )-: Well, I am already thinking I need to see if a Sportster fits through my front door. LoL

Oh well, walked into a floor jack and broke a toe Sunday, snapped like a twig. )-: Nice little 90' lean on to its neighbor. Left foot too, I have not tried getting on the bike yet and seeing what that will feel like at stop lights. I know I aint going to push around cones, pounding it would not be fun if I get a little off balance. Maybe a little rain will take the sting out of being so clumsy and give my foot a few days to deflate some. LoL See, that is why I took up riding, my exceptional coronation. ((-;

Stay dry this weekend . . .

Sorry to hear about the toe.... seems from most reports even though you didn't see much n=of Hana you got the worst of her ;^) . She came she dumped rain and left. After Fran and few others anything less then a cat2 hurricanes are ticked off thunderstorms to us. Ike is dangerous though and I hope y'all get spared. Will give the toe time to heal.
I keep looking at the Sportster for maybe my step up bike when I hand my Vulcan over to the woman.... but no 2 up riding (atleast at local dealership) which puts serious hampering on the idea. Another is $$$ man I forgot how proud HD is of their bikes. Is ok though I got plenty of time to get over it ...I love the Vulcan and its gonna be a loooong time before I let her go... 1,000+ as of Friday and still loving it... only thing i am looking to change is the mirrors

Yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a prediction, but today...... is a Bi**h

****Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit....What a ride!!!"****

Cuba again. Second cat 4 in two weeks. I feel for'em, but in the end, better them than me. LoL Life works that way in the end.
That Vulcan is a great bike. I would not be in any hurry at all. You might find a sporty slow, heavy and lumbering after her. (-: Sure as heck not not a whole lot faster! All a sporty is is a style, one "I" happen to like. With enough skill, that V Rod feels, looks and sounds pretty good too. (-: I would need my old paycheck back to even think of it however. Don't see that anytime soon, if ever. (-: Hyosung has a 650 that is real close in style to the V-Rod too . . nice pretty bike. (-:

My bike was around 7K plus tax. (Demo) I had more than half as a down, so not very painful in the end. A 1200 is around 11K plus toys and tax. And I do see a 1200 upgrade kit in my future. (2K, so still a LOT less than taking a new one.) As Harley's go, the Sporty is cheap. When you think Harley, you have to compare to . .Gold Wing. Highway bikes, big old boats meant to cruise highways. $25K is not steep on the "boats". . .LoL Bet my "cheep" sporty becomes cozy with the windshield I already ordered, and the seat I will soon, and in the end, I also bet in the twisty's I kill the big bad boys who are screaming from behind me what a girls bike I ride. (-: I will tell you the sporty is the fastest off the light of all the Harley's except the V Rod. She is quick and sweet and faster than I ever want to go on the top end, and quick and sweet on the low end. (-: What more do I need? ((-: Oh, did I mention I like the sound of her? LoL But in the "real world of motorcycles", she is not the speed queen at all. Not even close.

Gee forgot her name already, the white bike in the new thread, wait, "Honky" . . . . . now SHE IS FAST! (-: She was built to use and abuse younger men than me. LoL The Sporty is a mature girl like me. (-:

One of my buddy has a 883. Actually, they are not that heavy. Or, maybe it wasn't as heavy as I thought. Maybe tugging 200+lbs of weight, and the weight of the bike makes handling a challenge for some. My buddy is about 150-160lbs soak and wet. I never heard him complain about the bike being to heavy for him. And, this was his first bike as well. The front wheel is very appealing. It gets a nod in consideration for a next toy. I wonder what a 883 would look with a fender?

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

Well, I am tall and lanky. I really am a bit of a klutz. (-: If anyone had past riding experience on dirt bikes or anything, I think the sporty would be an easy transition bike. Plus, young confident noobs will adapt faster too. I lost a nephew to a motorcycle. He was in a coma for 3 months before he went. Two friends who lost legs to side swipes in this traffic, one with a broken neck, but he was just an idiot . .(-: I have known more than a few people who have crashed and burned . . . I have a healthy fear of this machine and show it a lot of respect. I am not "afraid" of the thing, but I do understand it will not suffer foolishness from me.

As far as weight . . .it is right at 600 lbs wet, add over 200 lbs with my old fat butt on it . .(-: My bet is 95% of brand spanking shiny new riders like me will notice it at first. I bet by the time I have a few thousand miles on it it will be a faded memory. But for now, I feel discussing it honestly is best on a beginners board. To this day, I am dead sure had I just ran off and rode it before the class, I would have dropped it for sure. The first two weeks of practice made a huge difference in how well I handled this bike, just huge. I still have a long way to go before I am satisfied with even the basic slow speed handling, as in this heavy Miami traffic those skills will be far more relevant than understanding how to handle "switch backs" I will not see till I move someday. (-; Agility is the skill to have when surrounded by cars. (-:

As for a big fender . .its is not a glide, it is a "sportster". LoL A lot of guys chop the fenders down or even lose them. (-: The sporty is "kind of" a cruiser, but in reality is leans more towards standard in some ways. Kind of a cross in between. Very traditional / old style. She has a little more ground clearance than most cruisers, but not as much as a sport bike or a true standard.

I hear you on the weight, but be assured, some folks will walk away from riding all together because the experience on a "entry level girls bike" was so stressful and un-enjoyable. Put that same person on a Rebel for a few months and they will have a ball . . I think I need to say things in a way that are informative so different folks can access the information in context of there own personalty and talents. (-: I KNEW I could learn it, it was in fact a little harder than I thought, but it is not the first time, I knew one way or the other I would get it together. Still, the Night Hawk was a blast to ride. (-: A small induro type 250 or 400 may find its way into my collection yet. ((-:

I know after my trip to Coos Bay the other day, I've come to the conclusion that sportbikes just aren't made for the big and tall! LOL! I think about the closest I will ever come to one is the Versys. All I know is that I'm still having a difficult time getting that Vulcan 900 out of my head... LOL!

A lot of comments that I have read, including a couple of magazine articles all seem to think that the Sportster 883 can make a good beginner bike. Sure seems like you made a friend for life with yours! :-D How does she seem to handle for you once you get her up to speed? Certainly the price is reasonable enough for the 883, especially when considering it's a Harley, and it is falling within the budget I have in mind.

Well, I feel the need to temper my enthusiasm. (-:

The first issue is weight. IF you are a disciplined person, have access to areas to practice off major roads, and WILL do it, then you can learn the weight. I simply did what we did in class, and got "Ride Like a Pro" and am working slowly on doing his stuff. I can do a better U turn on my own bike now than I could on the nighthawk 8 weeks ago. But I am sure I would be much better on it too these days. (-: I still try to find a little practice on each and every ride. (Broke a toe, so no cones and testing of the limits lately) LoL On real tight stuff I still drop that foot every once and a while and I am afraid the toe thing might cause me to drop it. (-;

Throttle. Compared to a 250, it will go. Plenty to hurt you if you target fix . . but, again, if you started by doing slow race, tight weaves, circles and figure 8's, practiced your quick stops . . .well even if you throttle up some it is second nature to clutch down some. So IF you take one step at a time that is not to much of a problem on this bike, it is not super sport fast in any way shape or form. It is muscle car fast. (-: what it will not do is unexpectedly put you on one wheel, and certainly it will not do so at hwy speeds. I am sure a lot of the other mid line bikes are far faster.

That is the second negative on power, are you disciplined and can you resist trying to drag race it? Trying to use what you have before you can control it is going to have a predictable result every time. (-: It is not super fast, but, well think old muscle cars, plenty to put you in a wall. That is a little more than most of the 250's put in your hands . . .

The good,
It has great low end power. So lights are easy. It is very predictable with power delivery. Twist hard and it is predictably fast too. Clutch control is required to be sure. As I get used to trusting this thing, it really does handle well. I am taking it to work in lots of traffic now. The breaks . . hmm. I would call then noob friendly. It stops like a car. (-: Maybe a little better, but you wont be doing stopies on it for sure. (-: Again to me, predictable and forgiving, and very good for any responsible riding habits. What would handle better, Vulcan or Sporty, in expert hands I bet the sporty would handle twisty's better. In mine? LoL No comment.

It is hard for me to go so far as to recommend the bike. I know lots of people that have started on bikes like this and the Vulcan 900. I also have seen a lot of people stop riding BECAUSE they started on these bikes. They are more difficult to develop skills on than the smaller bikes. And the 09 Sporty is going to be next to 9K I think. Lot of money to drop, it WILL linger in your head, trust me. (-:

I suppose I would say, IF you take the class, and IF you felt comfortable in that class, confident, and you understand this bike will take you back to the duck walk first morning of the class, and IF you are willing to make the effort to re-learn all those skills on it and become parking lot qualified again, and you understand it will be less relaxing than other choices, THEN maybe it is a good choice. (-: It was a bit harder to get my act together on this than it was the night hawk. Now, well I feel fine, in fact I am approaching plain old comfortable. I plan on testing expressways this weekend. But that is part of why I feel good on the bike, I have taken it slow, one step at a time. I am not satisfied with being ABLE to do a u turn, I have to feel COMFORTABLE doing it before I will move to the "next step". I have tackled one thing at a time, and done it till it felt comfortable, and only then moved to the next level. The biggest thing that added weight REQUIRES is not slow and careful, it is correct, sure, deliberate and confident control. She does not like it when I second guess myself at all. She is more demanding than the light bike was to be sure. . . . . . . . I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to hurt myself either. (-:

I think any rider who learns skills would find this bike easy to ride after 6 months time. I also think as 98% of us are over loaded trying to make our brains do 6 things at a time during the first several weeks, it is harder to do it on heavy bikes period, and puts you at greater risk of a fall. So, it is a judgment call . . .

I figure I took a risk and made a pretty big investment in the bike. I think investing a little of my time to get it right is the best investment of all and will last the longest.

The theme . .lots of practice time, I was not off just riding around and having fun . . . THAT is what a 250 gives you at this stage of the game. I don't mind so much, old Marine, kind of the way I have learned a lot of things, the question is would you? (-: Want to work to learn, or just go play while you learn? Small bikes give you freedom to play more in the early days.

I meant big front fender.

Now THAT'S what I call a review! :-D

Well, realistically I'm planning to do parking lot duty and easy trips around town for the first 4-6 months anyway. It's not like I'm in a situation where I have to prove anything to anybody anyways...

Muscle car fast is something I can relate to and deal with. On paper the Sportster looks to perform a lot like a Fox body Mustang (a car I'm REAL familiar with! LOL!) from the standpoint of acceleration and 1/4 mile times. Outside of the weight issue, the bike sounds almost ideal from your description... Of course I do realize that mileage may vary! LOL!

Definitely gives me some good information to think about!

I went with the Vulcan 900 and have had it since June. I too found the weight of a bike this size somwhat intimidating at first, but never the power. Also, I've found the biggest problem to be cornering clearance. I actually drug the frame making a sharp turn and pulled the wheels up. Luckily, I recovered with no ill effects other than a bruised ego.

I had also considered the Sporty in my hunt and at times wish I had gone with it. You have a great looking bike.

On the ride like a pro dvd's, he drags his pegs on every single thing he teaches. The idea is at the measurements of the coarse he lays out a large cruiser should be at its lean limits. I have gone there a time or two as well, heal of boot for me really. (-:

The sporty is more like a 1970's vintage standard kind of thing. Any true cruiser has those floor boards on the ground some. It don't hurt nothing. (-: Now, if we did 1000 miles together, bet you arrive a lot more rested than me. (-: That Vulcan is a much smoother riding bike, and a lot less engine vibration. It was my second stop the day I bought my sporty, and if a sales man had made the effort, I could have stopped there. (-; I had 3 picked out, The GV250 Hyosung, that Vulcan 900 or the 883, in that order in fact. I stopped at dealerships in that order. (Hint to my fellow sales people, try working for a living. We are not doing you a favor by buying, and wont beg to give you our money.) On that day, the Harley experience was a good one. (Not everyone would agree about there local shop.) LoL The only reason the Sportster was lower on the list was I thought it would be faster, more difficult to contain . . 1200 might have been, as it is, I am very pleased.

My opinion, any brand new rider who says that extra weight was no problem either is lying, or never pushed the bike to its limits in the slow basic learning curve and it would be easy to prove it in any parking lot because they will still not be any good at it. Going straight and making 3 acre turns is easy. (-: Then the 1 in a million naturals that do show up in any skill I suppose. (-: Even the Vulacan will get light if you keep banging out the practice.

I went to the Harley Dealer the other day. Wow. I am really beginning to get the HD fever. I picked up a brochure and read about the 883 low. It read,"Harley Davidson does not build beginner motorcycles. That's why this is the perfect place to begin." Hmmmm. What does that mean? I also read it gets about 60mpg on the highway. Would you know anything about that? 1 more thing. What do you think of the SoftTail Deluxe. Yummy! That is one beautiful piece of work there. Even the HD rep I spoke to said it was his favorite to ride. Not as in cumbersome as the others even though it weighs over 700lbs wet.(according to the brochure) What a machine.

Right there with ya.... as much as have tried most of my life to fight it I am getting back to wanting a HD. I grew up around them, the guys I grew up with nearly scared me form riding period....then I started riding... its my gateway drug to HD apparently... the MSF course I took was sponsored by Ray Price Harley Davidson. During one of our breaks I walked downstairs into the show room and absolutely fell in love with the Jet flat black Fat Bob they had... the thing is wicked....looks like I found my step up! Now....the wallet just has to agree.

Yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a prediction, but today...... is a Bi**h

****Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit....What a ride!!!"****

If money was no object . . I know a "GIRL" who is about to get her olive drab version of this bike delivered any day now. Yummy. ((-:
http://www.harleysofttail.com/

I just love this old school look. Just me. (-: I will learn to be "quick", but I will never be fast by MC standards and have fun. This stuff, the old school stuff, it IS the FUN. ((-: That being the case, I can do 99% of this to my Sporty, bump her to a 1200 even, and still out handle this bike. Hmm. Where does "poser" stop, and rider start? Hmmmmm ((-:

Serious thought. For guys who want real world, low end power, daily traffic power, Harley's are very comfortable. If high rev speed and performance are your thrill, less costly options are out there. (-: Me, I have a feeling I will be on a Harley for a long time to come. If anything, I figure I will add bikes, not change what I have.

Oh, just at this point have to scold you again. I work for a living. Do not cal me "Mr." or "Sir" . . ((-: Those things just do not fit the person I am . . .

After spending three months on a 250 (never sat on a bike before), I fell into a great 2000 883 with about 4000 miles on it. What a great bike! I find it it fast enough, nimble, and sturdy on the highways. Although I've been striving for that 60MPG mark, I can't seem to break the low 50s. A lot better than my F-150 though. Weight hasn't been an issue at all. In fact, I'm thankful for its weight everytime I pass a truck or one passes me. Enjoy, ride safe, and wear your gear. You may feel like an idiot, but I'd rather make it home to hug my kids.

I seem to live between 45 and 55 mpg too . . . others seem to get more, and several say a stage one air cleaner, exhaust change and re-map on the fuel will make a difference. All down the road a ways I think . . .. money is hard to find these days . . .

I just Started riding in August . . she feels nice these days, light. I suppose a 250 feels heavy those first few rides, however, she was different than the night hawk to be sure at first. LoL I really did have to work at it pretty hard. But I am no natural at this, tall and lanky and old enough to think about falling. So slow and methodical was my approach. It is all falling into place nicely now . . . .

And yep, boots, helmet, gloves and Jacket every ride. Riding pants that have a 40" waste and a 38" inseam appear to be in short supply . . . )-; I have one pair of riding jeans with knee armor, but they ride OVER my harness boots! I am thinking I could have a leather bottom sewn on . .would look ok and make them functional at least. I honestly only were those when I am going to be on the expressways . . . so I figure if I fall, those legs wont "kill" me, but I expect some re pain till I come up with something that fits.

Yea . . .the more I ride her, the more I like her. (-: Stay cool . . .always nice to meet a fellow Sporty owner.

Great review.
I rode a '94 Sporty for several years (basically my first bike) and found it to be very manageable.
Mine was also an 883. I'm 5'8", 160 lbs and never found it's weght to be an issue (although you do need to think about how you're going to exit your friend's steep downhill driveway that ends at his garage door). The Sporty seems to carry it's weight down low and the smallish gas tank keeps it from being top heavy.
I did set it down slowly once in my first month of ownership -- but it was a mistake that had nothing to do with the bike (I MIGHT have saved it if I was on something 250cc or less). But new rider beware: A few years later I sold it to a friend who was getting into riding and he dropped it four times (including twice at low speed) in his first couple of months. The bike was obviously rejecting his ownership ;)
Also, several years with NO maintenance issues; averaged low 50s mpg without trying. I think the new bikes are very reliable, but they seem to attract owners who love to spend their 401K on every new chrome doodad you could imagine.

Thanks . .I just went back and re read it. (-: I have to say at 1600 miles I just love her! Miami is not the kind of place you stack up thousands of miles. (-: Traffic makes a few miles a "long" ride. (-: But I sure do ride her every chance I get. Even my daily commute to work and back. (That surprised me honestly, rush hour is not the most fun on a bike sometimes.) My poor car is very neglected . .groceries only these days! (-:

Anyway . .so far I am still very, very happy with my Sporty! Not thinking about much chrome, but that 1200 upgrade and some V & H pipes might be on my list in the next year or so . .. (-;

Oh . . I added a Mustang after market seat . . . don't wait, just go ahead and order it when you buy the bike! LoL MUCH more cozy than the stock seat! The stock seat was crap . . . the one hit I give the bike now. Stock was good for an hour, then your ass just hurt. The Mustang . .i can ride all day on it, no problem.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

I'm really liking the way that Mustang seat looks on yours. Is Mustang the manufacturer? By the way, Ohio sucks! Just put the battery on the tender for the winter.

Yes, Mustang is the manufacture. A very, very good one. (-:

Mine is not truly a solo seat. It has a rear pylon second piece I can order later for two up riding. I chose the extra wide even though it is a little big on the sporty, but man it is a cozy seat. I highly recommend there products.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Glad to hear I'm not the only lunatic. First bike, which I love, is a Honda Magna, with a 750 engine. Wonderful smooth and control response is easily predictable. But the weight is a real issue the first little bit on it. First time I hit a sweeping curve on that heavier bike showed me the difference between a 250 and a 750.

I'm 100% with you on the matter of the right mindset for these bikes too. It isn't the bike for the young kid who wants to see how fast it will go. Lots of practice time is necessary to develop the control, but well worth it. Now I use the lines on the road to do a cone weave at 60mph. One of those little perks of riding in the country is that you can do this without oncoming traffic being a problem.

Add new comment